Extra Stuff

Click here to view my profile on mormon.org.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

"Hi!!!!! I'm Alive!!! :):):)"

 There's so much I want to say and talk about so hopefully I can get all my thoughts straight. But, I'm just going to speak from the heart.

The MTC is amazing, but my time here has been one of the scariest experiences of my life. The first day here we were thrown right in and taught 3 investigators. I didn't really know what to expect, but this wasn't it. Haha!

I am in a class with 5 other hermanas, and we are all in the intermediate level. They are some of the best people I've ever met, and I truly mean that. But I'll talk about that in just a second. :)

We speak only Spanish, and the teacher only speaks to us in Spanish. I just try to spit out what I know and hope for the best. The interesting thing is that I understand most of what our teacher, Hermano Bliler says. He speaks slowly and clearly, but I know that it's because of the spirit that I am able to understand-- especially when we are speaking about gospel subjects. I thought that we would have separate Spanish classes and doctrine classes, but it's all combined. We learn how to teach in spanish by.......teaching in Spanish.

The third day here we taught our first lesson to our investigator. This is the hardest thing I've ever done. We have to be able to teach her lessons and decipher her needs--- all in another language. Some of the questions she asks I don't even know the answer in English, let alone Spanish! But through much help from the spirit, we are able to get through. It's interesting because we're not really told what to do, we teach ourselves. I believe that that way of teaching truly makes us grow. I have never prayed so hard and sincerely in my life. This week I have felt fierce feelings of intense inadequacy, anxiety, and nervousness. My respect for missionaries has tripled. Missionaries are not weak. We are made strong to be able to do things I never thought was possible. We are constantly encouraged and blessed. I feel so happy when I put on my name tag every morning.

Last night we had an amazing devotional and the speaker spoke about the reverence and power of the name Jesus Christ. He said something that really hit me. He said "We are not going out in our name, we're going out in the name of Jesus Christ. Why can't we have confidence in that name?" That touched me because we are just instruments, and we just need to have trust in our Savior, Jesus Christ. That changed my heart to not feel so scared. 

There is also so much happiness here! Everyone is VERY friendly.  I am on the West campus. Everytime we walk by someone, we say hola and smile really big! I feel like I have a second family here. My companion is named Hermana Best. She truly is the best companion I could ever have. :) She is 22, really fun, and the bravest person I've ever met. When we're in lessons, she just goes for it. We get along really, really well. She is also a dancer, and has danced for years! So we have a lot to talk about. She is super hilarious and we laugh all the time. We also always do the workouts I brought (Zach would be proud.), and lots of ab workouts and such. Yesterday morning we went for a run at 6 am! Surprised?? So am I. Amazingly, it is not that hard to wake up in the morning!!! What a blessing! ;) Hahaha she is so funny.

One day we were having our personal study, and she was falling asleep. So she went into the bathroom, and I'm not kidding- 20 mins went by. I started to get really scared. I was like....is she sick? Is she crying? Is she.......dead? Yes, that thought literally crossed my mind. Ten more minutes went by. When she came out she was like "how long have I been in there?" She had fallen asleep!! That explains how tired we are.

We have 5 hermanas in our district. As cheesy as this sounds, I feel like I've known them my whole entire life. I am so blessed to have them. Hermana Jensen is so cool. She is super fun but really reverent and humble and calm. Hermana Ellis is so funny. There are so many stories about her but she cracks me up every day. Hermana Whitman (Tiani!!) Is the kind of companion I always wanted! She talks "whetto" (White girl ghetto talk in her own words). Hahaha we have such good times. Hermano Bliler thinks we are crazy. He is this super shy little guy. This week Hermana Whitman accidentaly swore a really bad word. Wooops! Hermano Bliler went beat red. She felt so bad but honestly it was kind of hilarious. These sisters have rock solid testimonies and we help each other every day. 

Our zone is literally the best. This is kind of rare, but all of us are going to Costa Rica!! We had a meeting with all of us to meet each other and our branch president. We each got to share why we came on a mission. Everyone blew me away with their amazing testimonies. I pretty much bawled my eyes out. After, we had personal interviews with our branch president. I got assigned to be the sister training leader for our little district. I feel really inadequate but I feel really happy and I love my hermanas! Yesterday the elders in our zone gave us a blessing. It was one of the most spiritual experiences. They are all only 18 years old, but you know that they have the priesthood. My testimony has truly been strengthened. You know what's cool? Praying in Spanish is very natural.
This is amazing and I am so grateful.

Oh! And I loved getting a letter from dearelder.com! (My Unit # is 808...just sayin'). Write me everyday if you want! Getting mail is the best thing in the world.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment